Campaign to Stop Killer Coke Newsletter June 30, 2011
Tax Evasion, Smuggling, Abuse of Workers, the Environment & Worse!
- SEC Complaint Filed Against Coke for Covering Up Risk of Legal Problems in Mexico
- Coke Annual Meeting: Human Rights Abuse Accusations & CEO Kent's Lies Dominate
- Guatemala Lawsuit Still in Court, Despite Coke CEO Kent's Denial
- Coke's Crimes in The Philippines, Kenya & Tanzania
- DC 37 AFSCME Public Employee Press Full-Page Story on Campaign in Latin America
- Metro NY Labor Communications Council Bans Coke at its Meetings
- Hagens Berman LLP Announces Investigation of The Coca-Cola Company
- Romanian Press Accuses Coke of Blackmail
SaportaReport, Atlanta Business Chronicle, April 27, 2011
"As usual, Coke is not telling the truth. When the federal district court dismissed, it did so because it found, incorrectly, that Guatemala was a superior forum (Yes, the place where you can murder trade unionists). Because appealing these initial decisions is a real long shot, we went to Guatemala, filed the case, and argued there that the court should not accept jurisdiction because the Guatemalan plaintiffs chose the US courts because it was safer for them and that they had better legal remedies."The Guatemalan court then declined jurisdiction and sent us back to New York. The hearing I had to attend on Monday April 25 was an initial hearing before judge Sullivan that we were making a motion to reinstate the case in NYC. Coke of course argued that the case should not be reinstated because we did not appeal the Guatemalan court's denial in Guatemala, and our position is that we are not permitted to appeal this type of ruling in Guatemala. So we will now make a formal motion to the court. With the record that we tried to file in Guatemala and the court declined to take it, we will have a very good appeal issue should the judge still decline to take it."
4. Coke's Crimes in The Philippines, Kenya & Tanzania
By Carla P. Gomes, Inquirer Visayas, June 22, 2011
Local 2627 has more than 4,200 members who work in computer titles in all City agencies.Watch the Video